NAPLES, Fla. - The Rockford University softball team (4-2) took a pair of wins from Kenyon College (12-4) and Elms College (0-8). The Regents offense jumped on both teams, winning 13-4 over Kenyon College in five innings and 12-3 over Elms College in five innings. Rockford has led by two or more runs after the first inning in every game this season. The Regents power was on display with three home runs, three doubles and a triple on the day.
Rockford 13 Kenyon 4 (5 innings)
- Rockford got off to a fast start scoring the first two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Mikayla Seay singled to right field to score Annaka Bartz for the Regents first run. Jessica Kearns stepped up to the plate and ripped a single up the middle to score Mikayla Seay and give the Regents a 2-0 lead heading into the second inning.
- The Regents held Kenyon's offense to no runs in the top of the second inning and opened up the game in the bottom of the second by scoring six runs. Annaka Bartz started the rally by hitting a single to center field, scoring Katelyn Boomgarden. The next at-bat, Emily Cox hammered a two-run homer to left-center giving the Regents a 5-0 lead. Rockford was not done, Michaela Spanbauer came up and hit a single to right-center scoring Gretchen Schrubbe and Mikayla Seay. The Regents' final run of the second inning came off a wild pitch to score Michaela Spanbauer, allowing the Regents to lead 8-0.
- Kenyon got on the board, scoring three runs in the top of the third inning to close the gap 8-3.
- Rockford tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the third inning from a roped double by Michaela Spanbauer to score Mikayla Seay and Emily Cox, leading 10-3.
- Rockford's defense put together another strong performance in the top of the fourth inning not allowing Kenyon to score a run. Annaka Bartz finished it off for the Regents, drilling a three-run home run to left field, bringing in Katelyn Boomgarden and Destiny Darmon to lead 13-3.
- Rylee Klema received the win, pitching five innings, striking out four, walking one, giving up eight hits and no earned runs.
- Kenyon was only able to push across one run in the fifth inning. Rockford took the win in five innings, 13-4.
Rockford 12 Elms 3
- The Regents spark continued as it jumped out to a 5-0 lead after the bottom of the first inning. Gretchen Schrubbe singled to left field, bringing home Mikayla Seay and Jessica Kearns. McCathran Andrew singled through the right side to score Gretchen Schrubbe. Katelyn Boomgarden hit a sacrifice fly to center field, McCathran Andrew tagged up at third to score a run. Paige Korsan scored for the Regents on a wild pitch.
- Elms caught up to the Regents, scoring three runs in the top of the third inning to trail a close 5-3.
- However, Rockford scored one run in the bottom of the third inning on a wild pitch and six more unanswered runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Annaka Bartz continued to crush the ball, hitting a double to center field scoring Jessica Kearns and Allison Kaiser. Mikayla Seay demolished a ball over the center-field fence, bringing Annaka Bartz home. Elms walked Sammi Russell with the bases loaded to score Brittany Bihun. Allison Kaiser provided the last piece of offense for the Regents, hitting a sacrifice fly to left-field to score McCathran Andrew.
- Mikayla Seay pitched brilliantly, receiving her second win of the season while pitching five innings, striking out four, walking one, on eight hits, and no earned runs.
- Rockford came away victorious 12-3 in five innings.
- Emily Cox finished 3-3 with a home run, 2 RBI's and 2 runs scored.
- Annaka Bartz went 2-4 with a home run, 4 RBI's and 3 runs scored.
- Michaela Spanbauer went 2-3 with a double, 4 RBI's and 1 run scored.
- Destiny Darmon went 2-3 with a double and 1 run scored.
- Mikayla Seay went 2-4 with 1 RBI and 3 runs scored.
- Rylee Klema threw 5 innings with 4 strikeouts, 8 hits, 1 walk and 1 earned run.
- Mikayla Seay finished 2-3 with a home run, 2 RBI's, 2 runs scored and a stolen base. Seay also pitched 5 innings with 4 strikeouts, 8 hits, 1 walk and no earned runs.
- Paige Korsan went 2-2 with a triple, a walk and 2 runs scored.
- Annaka Bartz went 1-3 with a double, 2 RBI's and 1 run scored.
- Jessica Kearns went 2-4 with 2 runs scored.
The RU softball team returns to the diamond on Thursday, March 12 at 8 AM central time against Alfred State and then at 10 AM central time against Curry.